The Legend of Damon and Pythias
Spelling List- short vowel sounds
1. tyrant- a harsh, unjust ruler
2. rebel- to resist a ruler's power
3. appointed- to name officially
4. traitor- someone who betrays another's trust
5. honorable- deserving of honor or respect
Study Guide Questions
1. The teller of the story uses only two names. What are the names and why do you think none of the other characters was given a name?
2. Pythias told his friend that he was worried about what will happen to his mother and sister after his execution. If he was telling the truth, why do you think he endangered himself and the well-being of his family by standing up to the king?
3. What was the importance of Pythias’s integrity to this story?
4. The king called Pythias a traitor for opposing the laws of the country. The king also recognized Pythias as a champion of the people of the country. Do you agree with the king; was Pythias a traitor? Explain your answer.
5. What do you think the world would be like if most of the people were like Damon and Pythias? Explain your answer.
-Monitoring and Adjusting Reading Speed